Hellcats

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay. My computer has crashed completely and there seems to be no fix for it in the immediate future. So I stole Caroline's laptop to bring you this update for my Brest or Bust painting project. Enjoy!


Brest or Bust Update: Hellcats!



The M18 Hellcat is one of the coolest US vehicles during WWII, right behind the Sherman Calliope. It was calssified as a tank-destroyer and was purpose built for its role, unlike the other TDs in the US arsenal. It was fast (60mph) and had a powerful 76mm gun. The trade off was that it have thin armor and was vulnerable to .22 calibre spit-wads. Still, its speed kept its crew safe.

So, I couldn't resist and started with my Hellcat platoon. I've gone with a muddy theme for this army as something new and different as well as to try out some new weathering techniques. Not sure its quite where I want it, but its damn close.





The mud weathering was done with three levels of Vallejo brown paint. The first was Chocolate Brown (which reminds me,... brb) ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ there, had to grab some M&Ms...

Anyway, where was I? Right, Chocolate Brown + fine sand + static grass, followed by a US Field Drab highlight, followed by a USA Tan Earth highlight. I'm happy enough with the colors, but I think I'll tone the sand down for the other vehicles, possibly removing some of the big clumps from the tracks of these Hellcats.

Right, so thats where Im at with the Brest or Bust project. I'll report back in a little later with the next platoon.... not even sure what that will be myself actually!

I'll try to get better and more photos once I get my computer back online (if I can that is!)

Regards,
-M

Comments

  1. Are you using Vallejo Model Color or Game Color?

    Second part, if using VMC how big is that color line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your TD Platoon looks kick ass! I just picked up some M18's for mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! I'll try to get some better photos together now that I have a better set up. Have fun killing panzers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment