Egads! Indecision!

Having completed the Soviet guns, I find myself at a terrible crossroad. I've had some outstanding items arrive in the mail all in one fell swoop only to jam my modelling compass entirely.

As you can see from the picture to the right, my creative desires are being pulled in no fewer than five tantalizing directions. And this pisses me off because I want to do them all at the exact same time!

Anyway, this perfect storm of hobbying means that I've got plenty to keep me bust for a long time. It'll also keep me interested for a while too given the diversity of the pile!


Distraction 1: X-Wing
I had recently gone off X-Wing for a few reasons, which are sound extremely nerdy. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun game. It's got a lot going for it, the minis are painted quite well, the game plays quickly and with plenty of twists and turns, and above all its Star Wars ships. The problems I have with the game are purely technical in one way or another.
A-Wing! (and space mat)
Bangalore!
All that being said, I managed to get an A-Wing, which is hands down my favorite Star Wars ship. Despite some more nitpicking complaints about it's stats (two shields, really?), I am excited to have a game with it. I'd like at least two more of these guys and some TIE Interceptors, but that's going to have to wait a year probably as they sort out their supply problems.

To help push me back into X-Wing, I picked up one of GaleForce Nine's Space mats. Its pretty cool and will easily cover my dining room table for a game. Theo loves the tube container, and in a few years he'll enjoy playing the game as well, hopefully.

Talking with Chris (check out his blog: Wargamer On Tour), we're planning some things for the upcoming WWPD4Vets event at the end of the month. Hopefully we'll have some new missions to add depth and a stupidly simple experience tracking campaign, just for fun. We'll keep you posted!

Distraction 2: Muskets and Tomahawks
A few months ago I posted my intention to do an ACW mod for this game due to the fact that I don't own any French and Indian War figures. Clearly I've been distracted long enough from that objective to receive actual Woodlands Indian figures for a M&T war party.

I'm pretty excited about these figures. They are from Northstar Miniatures and they look pretty nice. Its a pre-packaged warband specifically for M&T and it comes in a DVD case (whats with this trend toward DVD boxes lately?). The box contains one Sachem (war chief), four warriors with rifles, six warriors with bows, 12 warriors with muskets, and a plastic base for each of them. The figures look good and have some great poses. I'll get these reviewed as soon as this project reaches terminal velocity.

Distraction 3: Marders for my Fucilierkompanie
Eight of the bastards! I've got a tournament coming up and I wanted to field a Fucilierkompanie from Earth & Steel. This is a great list that I think gets overshadowed by the Festungskompanie and the Grenadierkompanie. It has some serious strengths, not the least of which is that it can take two platoons of four Marder III Ms (the best looking model of Marder in my opinion). Anyway, they are definitely high priority as the tournament is coming up in a few weeks. Looks like its time to bust out the airbrush!

Distraction 4: M3 Lees for MW Tournament
I have it on good authority that I now have a legit excuse to finally paint my M3 Lee company for a mid war event. I've had these models and another 6 in deep storage for about three years and I've been meaning to get them done. With the possibility of a mid-war tournament happening this year, they will finally get the chance to get painted up. I'm looking forward to painting them up in a dusty olive drab with some yellow stars and bars. I think they will look pretty unique!

Distraction 5: Saga: The Raven's Shadow
Finally, I've got the latest Saga book. It took me a while to get around and grab this book because it doesn't really contain any faction I'm terribly interested in. I'll look into the Norse-Irish perhaps one day, but that's about the extent of it.

The book does have some interesting rules for banner troops, and since I have a few of these in my Normans as it is, I might actually give them a try. I'm not sure if they are worth it in hearthguard units as you trade the combat power of a hearthguard figure for the ability to rest at any time in the turn. Perhaps there's a combo in there I don't know about, but we'll give it a try one day!

Alright, now to the hard part of prioritizing these projects....

...so little time...

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. I feel your First World pain brother. As Sartre said, 'man is condemned to be free'. The nice thing is that all your painting projects there are nice and short, so do them all mwahahhhaah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see those Woodlands Indians with some Scary paint on them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not under estimate the power of the banner in a Norman Hearthguard unit. Especially when you face Anglo-Danes.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up some Lees as well - of course, I'm going to try and model up some early M4 and M4A1 Shermans with the Lee style VVSS and direct vision slots to go with them as a part of a Kassarine Pass army...

    It's a disease I tell you... a DISEASE!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think you need to get a sabbatical from work so you can stay home and paint all 5 projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! What's worse is that I've actually done none of those things and have actually been distracted by at least 4 other projects... I need help.

      Delete

Post a Comment